Sunday, September 16, 2007

CyberNet - A leader of ____?

Remember the days of Fill in the Blank type questions? Ah just to take a stroll down memory lane, here's one for you - CyberNet - a leader of ____? Surely the answer is right there when you dial one of their 111 numbers, but truly speaking, would a leader in (Something something) truly admit that it has run out of excuses?

Ah yes - thats what a long running saga came down to 48 hours back. But, let me get to that by introducing a conversation I'm sure many of you have had with ample remorse.

About a fortnight back, a situational analysis suggested that decency was getting me nowhere, and verbal banter was the need of the hour. Hence, being as frank as one can, I let the rep know exactly what I think of their organization, and the fallacies based on which they recently received a CSR award (one of the questions that comes to mind is - have they become so big that they've forgotten the private sector, and are now solely focused on the bigger fish. i.e. the corporate sector?)

And voila! less than 24 hours later a field rep was knocking at my front door - it was an Xmas miracle - anything less than a 72 hour response time was considered the equivalent of snowflakes artistically decorating the city, but, less than 24 hours - that indeed is one for the record books!

So the lineman went on to his scanning routine, and determined that there were a few too many joints in the line in question (yes - 2 are too many.) So being the nice guy that I am, I allowed him to disbar that cable, and replace it with on of his own, as per his liking, regardless of the fact that it screwed up the aesthetic value of my residential abode.

Having done that, his analysis was "yai behtreen line hai - bilkul problems nahi hongai." (loosely translated to "this line is crystal clear - there will be no issues as such.") Kudos! Now I can finally browse.

12 hours later I received a call from their "monitoring cell" if you like - "has the issue been resolved?" "No - I still can't host a conversation longer than 5 minutes on MSN." "OK - our man is on his way." And again - there's the same distraught individual knocking on my door. "Let me trace the lineman - we'll have the external wire changed." "Go ahead mate."

And so the wire was changed - to NO effect. Surprising isn't it? Then came a day when I wasn't home, for a supposed 12 noon appointment with one of their "engineers" - great title eh? Of course, this "engineer" was yet to learn to read the time, and assumed that 1pm is the equivalent of 12noon. But, what was rather amusing was when he still accessed my desktop without any authorization, and simply reported back at the office that "the desktop has an issue - the contact person isn't answering his phone." How conveniently did he fail to realize that the reason the desktop wasn't "functioning" was because the "crystal clear" line had unsynchronized.

More verbal banter, with their pain in the ____ (yet another fill in the blank for you), followed by another "engineer" 12 hours later (a continuous string of miracles - must have done something right!) And when I asked him for his next excuse, the punchline - "we don't have anymore excuses."

Just what I needed to hear - he mentioned that he'll give me a "test modem" which should solve the problem - however, 48 hours on, that's yet to be resolved. Moments ago another tech rep called in asking if the problem has been resolved - hah - reckon I should just have an automated response service associated with calls coming from that number. Final response was "reckon there is an issue with Cyber(void left to suit the readers imagination.") And there it was on the other end of the line - deadening silence.

No comments: